Café Griensteidl, printing by Reinhold Völkel, 1896.
Café Griensteidl is a traditional Viennese café located at Michaelerplatz 2 across from St. Michael’s Gate at the Hofburg Palace in the Innere Stadt first district of Vienna, Austria. The cafe was founded in 1847 by former pharmacist Heinrich Griensteidl. In the January 1897, the original building was demolished during the course of the renovation of Michaelerplatz. In 1900, the café was reopened and became a popular location among the Viennese coffeehouse culture. During the early twentieth century, the café was frequented by many artists, musicians, and writers.